West Texas Literary Review seeks poems, essays, flash fiction, and photographs that bring value to the page. We want work that is thoughtful, deliberate, and authentic. We want work that is concrete and direct, and can justify its own existence. Think of poets like William Carlos Williams, Anne Sexton, and Nikki Giovanni. Think of essayists like George Orwell. Think of short story writers like Donald Barthelme, Octavio Paz, and Jorge Luis Borges. We want your best work and, if you send us your best work, we will treat it with respect and care.
- Accepted works will appear in an online issue published quarterly (March, June, September, December). After every fourth online issue, we will print a “best of” edition. All works accepted for publication online will be automatically nominated for the “best of” edition. Please allow up to 10 weeks for a response, although the wait will ordinarily be much shorter.
- We read submissions year round. Simultaneous submissions are great, but you must tell us immediately if the work is accepted elsewhere.
- We accept submissions throughSubmittableonly. The fee charged will be used to maintain this site and, hopefully, to begin paying our writers very soon.
- If your work is selected, it will be beautifully displayed on the website and stored forever in our online archive. We will also include a short bio and link to your personal website or blog. We will send you a .pdf version of the online edition in which your work appears. We hope to transition quickly to paying our writers, but we are not there quite yet.
- If West Texas Literary Review decides to publish your work, we ask for first-time publishing rights on our website and social media sites as well as print publication in our “best of” print edition if your work is chosen. After publication, the rights revert back to you. If your work is printed elsewhere, we ask that you please reference West Texas Literary Review as the original publisher. We also request the right to archive your work permanently on our website.
- We charge a nominal fee of $3 for submissions, which covers the cost of the website and brings us one step closer to our ultimate goal of paying the writers.
- Please wait eight weeks before emailing us regarding the status of a submission.
Send up to five poems in a single document, in .pdf, .rtf, .doc, .docx, or .txt format. Your poetry must be unpublished in any form.
Send one essay at a time, up to 2,500 words. We prefer shorter works with a tight focus, in the range of 1,200 to 1,800 words. We are especially interested in essays that are personal, critical, historical, or political.
Send one story at a time, up to 1,000 words. If you have two stories that are less than 500 words each, you can send both in a single document.
Photographs (black-and-white only)
Send one high resolution photograph, in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format. Or, if you wish, send up to five photographs in a single .pdf document. We will select one black-and-white photograph for the cover of each edition, online and print.